Sunday, December 7, 2014

Cauliflower and Sausage Pasta

Whoa! I am back!I am sure you have been wondering where I have been as of late! Well...I had a little girl and I am back at it again! LIFE is so crazy, but I am having a lot of FUN with it! Well, here is one of my all time favorites (Jason asks for it every week, but alas, I like a little variety)! I found this recipe in the Food Network Magazine ( I highly recommend this magazine!) and it sounded as good as the picture looked. We tried it and it was a winner!
Go here to see the original recipe! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/sausage-cauliflower-spaghetti-recipe.html
I don't change the recipe too much. But it helps to not make it so oily!

Sausage-Cauliflower Spaghetti
Slightly adapted from Food Network

Salt (Kosher works best)
1 box of whole grain spaghetti
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces of sausage (any type- turkey or pork)
6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 head of cauliflower broken into small florets
1 bunch of scallions (about 6)
Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle on top

Bring a large pot of salty water to boil. Cook spaghetti until is al-dente. Reserve 2 cups of cooking water, then drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil on a large skillet. Crumble the sausage into the oil and brown over medium-high heat, until lightly brown (no pink) about 4 minutes. Clear a space in the pan. Add the garlic and let it cook until you can smell it (don't burn it...it only needs about 1 minute) Add the cauliflower and cook until the edges get a golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the reserved pasta water, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until cauliflower is tender, about 8 minutes. Uncover and boil over high heat until the liquid is almost evaporated.

Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet with the scallions. Add some salt to taste. Toss for a minute until the scallions start to wilt. Add the remaining pasta water to keep the pasta from sticking to itself, Remove from heat and add cheese if desired (I always desire!)

And Walla- a delicious and quick dinner! I bet even your kids would LOVE it!



No comments:

Post a Comment