Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pizza!

I lived in Italy for a while, so I know pizza and I know good pizza crust! Here is a Recipe that I found in The Food Network Magazine. I found it here on their website (Basic Pizza Dough)! This recipe makes two large regular crust pizzas or 4 thin crust pizzas. (Our family prefers the crunchy thin crust.) It is great because you can freeze the extra pound of dough for up to a month! So you do all the work once and get two meals out of it!

Baking the Dough
Preheat oven to 500* with the baking tray. (This just means place the pan in the cool oven while it is heating up). Place a rolled out pizza dough on the now HOT baking tray. Brush olive oil over the pizza crust (don't drench it, just light brush). Bake for 5 minutes. Add your sauce (see below if you want to know what I use) and ingredients. Bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.

As for Sauce, I just use crushed tomatoes from a can. It is the closest that I have found to what real pizza in Italy tastes like. I add a little bit of sea salt and a sprinkling of basil and oregano.

ENJOY! It is quite simple...you just need a little time and planning.

Here are some ideas for toppings:
Margherita:
Fresh mozzarella with fresh Basil
Kendra Supreme (as seen above in the picture):
Pepperoni (this is a family favorite...I cut the pepperoni into quarters and sprinkle it over the top...you will be amazed at how far just 7 slices will go!), red onions, sliced Crimini mushrooms, olives, diced green (or red) peppers, sausage (I save sausage from recipes that I have previously made and freeze it or store it in the refrigerator if I know that we will be eating pizza soon), and shredded Mozzarella
Zucchini:
Heat a tablespoon of Olive Oil. Fry zucchini (either shredded with a cheese grater, or thin sliced into circles) in a frying pan. Cook until browned. Place on plain pizza or pizza with red sauce. Sprinkle with basil, salt and oregano.
Onion:
Caramelize one sliced onion with Olive Oil. Place onion on plain pizza. Sprinkle with salt, Oregano and Basil. Optional: After it is fully cooked, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
Jason's Favorite Combo 
 Grilled chicken (just make an extra during another meal!), pepperoni and green peppers

1 comment:

  1. I just did pizza tonight, but after reading this, I mine seemed to pale in comparison. I'll have to give this a try next time.

    ReplyDelete